Apart from being a recurring paying member of the New Orleans Lambda Center, there's also the opportunity to serve on the Board of Directors.
Elections are coming up for the Board of Directors and will be held at the Lambda Center on Saturday, January 13th at 5:30pm.
Here's more about the Board of Directors, aka the Governing Body, from the Lambda By-Laws themselves. The full by-laws can be found here.
LAMBDA'S GOVERNING BODY:
The New Orleans Lambda Center is to be governed by a Board of Directors consisting of nine (9) members elected from and by the General Membership.
The Board shall consist of a Chair person, a Vice-Chairperson, a Secretary, a Treasurer, and five (5) Directors-at-Large.
The term of office for First, Second, Third, and Fourth Directors-at-Large shall be two (2) years; the first year as a Director-at-Large and the second year as an Officer of the Baord.
The term of office for the Fifth Director shall be one (1) year.
The First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Directors shall be elected by the General Membership at the January semi-annual Membership meeting (being held this year on Sat, Jan. 13th at 5:30pm).
LAMBDA'S NOMINATIONS & ELECTIONS:
A. Elections for the Board of Directors shall be held at the semi-annual meeting of the General Membership: said meetings to be held during the months of January and June each year, the actual dates to be set by the presiding board, and announced no less than ten (10) days nor more than fifty (50) days prior to the meeting date.
B. The Four Officers of the Board of Directors are to be elected by the General Membership at the semi-annual meeting in January. The term of office for each member of the board, with the exception of the Fifth Director, shall be two years. The first year elected, the member will serve as a director at large, and the second year, the member will serve as an officer. One year must elapse following the expiration of their two-year term before a person is eligible to serve on the Board again.
C. The Fifth Director-at-Large is to be elected, at the semi-annual meeting January, and the term of office will be twelve (12) months. This Director will be eligible for election as an officer or Director-at-Large at the end of each twelve (12) month period.
D. Nominations for open positions on the Board of Directors must be submitted to the Board of Directors prior to the election during the period stated in the announcement of vacancy. The presiding board will post the nominations in a timely manner.
1. The requirement for nomination is that the nominee be a currently paid Member of the Lambda Center, New Orleans, Inc., with a minimum of three (3) consecutive months paid membership to the Lambda Center, New Orleans, Inc..
2. Nominations may be submitted by any two (2) eligible members of the Lambda Center, New Orleans, Inc. Eligible members are those whose dues have been paid for at least three (3) consecutive months, prior to the opening of nominations.
3. Nominations from the floor during the election meeting are permissible, provided the nominee is present and has indicated a willingness to accept nomination. Nominations from the floor require a motion and second, in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order.
4. In the event an elected Member of the Board of Directors resigns, retires, or a vacancy is created for any reason whatever, the Chairperson of the Board shall call a special meeting of the General Membership for the purpose of electing a replacement(s) for the vacated position(s) in accordance with requirements. Temporary appointments to fill any vacancy may be made by the Chairperson of the Board of Directors pending Special Election, which shall be called within ninety (90) days of creation of said appointment.
5. Eligible members of the Lambda Center, New Orleans, Inc., shall be those members who have paid their dues continuously for a minimum of three (3) consecutive months excluding the month in which the election is held. It shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer of the Board of Directors to maintain a current list of all eligible members and to certify members for voting privileges.
6. All elections shall be in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order and positions on the Board determined by a majority vote of the membership present, including proxy votes certified by the Treasurer of the Board of Directors.
To submit your nominations for the new Lambda Center Board of Directors, please email us at email@example.com.
And if you haven't already, please be sure to join us on Instagram where we post the daily meeting schedule.